Dermatology & Allergy Treatment
Dermatology includes all disorders and diseases of the skin, hair, and nails. In dogs and cats it also involves most diseases of the ear. A full 50% of the patients who enter the veterinary hospital have some sort of dermatologic concern, either as the main reason for the visit or as an additional question during a routine physical exam. Symptoms of skin disease include itching, licking, foot licking, hair loss, poor hair coat, lack of hair regrowth after shaving, lumps, and bumps, just to name a few.
Most skin problems that manifest as itching, licking, and hair loss are caused by parasites (fleas, ticks or mites) or allergic skin disease. Fortunately, parasite control has improved in efficacy and in safety so that those problems are easily eliminated, leaving Allergic Skin Disease such as Atopy and Food Allergy as the main skin problems that we must manage. There are three allergic causes of dermatopathy, or skin problems, in dogs and cats - environmental (air borne), food, and parasitic bite allergies.
Schedule an appointment for your pet's health today!
COMMON ALLERGY SYMPTOMS IN PETS
Symptoms that both your dog or cat my exhibit with allergies are:
- Constant scratching, licking, and/or chewing of the skin
- Chewing and licking at paws
- Odor coming from your pet’s skin
- Patches of inflamed skin and hair loss
- Red, swollen ears and excessive head shaking
- Unable to get comfortable (restlessness)
- Runny eyes and nose
- Darkening of the hair on feet from saliva staining
If you suspect your pet is suffering from allergies, a thorough examination is the first step in relieving their symptoms. Vickery Place Animal Hospital will work with you to provide:
- Accurate Diagnosis: Allergy testing, food trials, referral for provocation test of the skin
- Tailored Treatment Options: Hyposensitization, liquid allergy drops, Cytopoint, Apoquel, hydrolyzed or limited-antigen diets.
- Preventing Complications: Allergies can compromise your pet's immune system and make them susceptible to secondary infections and other complications. Early intervention can prevent further complications and help maintain overall well-being.
- Expert Guidance and Support: Navigating through the challenges of managing allergies in pets can be overwhelming because allergies are not “cured” but “managed”. By consulting a veterinarian, you gain access to a wealth of knowledge and experience. Our doctors and staff are here to equip and support you in the allergy management process, helping your pet be comfortable and heal.